Monday, March 29, 2010

(Un) Altered States

Greetings all,

It goes well here in the land of sobriety. I suppose.

One term that you here a lot in AA circles is "Living life on life's terms", or "Facing life on life's terms". Seemingly simple and obvious for most people, but difficult for us addicts. I can remember being in the inpatient rehab and reflecting back on how I've really lived most of my life in some sort of altered state or other. Undoing that can sometimes seem nearly impossible, though the actual mechanics of it are trivial: don't use any psychoactive substances. It is the execution and follow through that are the difficulty.

But I am doing it. As Yoda said, "There is no try, only do." As my sponsor said, "Just don't drink."

It is obvious, but our minds throw up all sorts of obstacles: "I deserve this.", "I can't handle this.", "Just one will be okay." We have to find the sensible, calm voice in our heads instead of listening to these negative spasms.

In the meantime, I will just keep on keeping on. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment